Many people today do not truly understand the difference between a medium and a psychic. Is there truly a difference or is it simply two names for the same thing? No, there is a difference and here is an explanation to make the differentiation clearer.
A medium connects with deceased loved ones in spirit and provides enough evidence to demonstrate that they are truly connecting with a specific individual. Mediums do not make predictions, but rather provide a line a communication between the living and those that have passed on. Mediums are vessels with the ability to link with those who have passed on.
A psychic uses their intuition to receive information regarding an individual’s past, present, or future. Psychics utilize the energy related to auras. Psychics read the energy found in an individual’s aura and can then sense what happened in the past, what is happening now, and what will happen in the future.
What is a Medium?
A medium is an individual who communicates with those who have passed on and delivers messages from them to the living.
Types of Mediums
There are two types of mediums:
- Mental: Mental mediums use their minds to communicate with those who have passed on.
- Physical: Physical mediums are able to make spiritual entities appear in the real world. The spirit may be heard, felt, or seen by everyone and not just the medium.
Mediums use one or more senses to reach out to the spirit world. These senses include:
- Clairvoyance– defined as clear seeing, or the ability to see things that are present physically.
- Clairsentience– defined as clear feeling, or the ability to feel impressions that a spirit wishes to communicate.
- Clairaudience– defined as clear hearing, or the ability to hear the thoughts and voices of spirits.
- Claircognizance– defined as clear knowing, or the ability to recognize something even when there is no way of knowing if it really true.
- Channeling – defined as the ability to allow the deceased to take over the living human body in order to communicate with their loved ones.
The Methods Mediums Use to Contact Spirits
Mediums contact spirits in different ways, depending on their gifts. Some of the most common methods are:
- Séance – A meeting at which a group of people gather in order to make contact with the dead.
- Trance – The medium allows his or body to become a vessel for the spirit.
- Spirit Board– Often called an Ouija board, spirit boards are used to ask the deceased questions that require one-word answers.
What is a Psychic?
A psychic is someone who possesses the ability to read auras and sense spiritual energy.
There is a lengthy list of various abilities different psychics may possess. Here are just a few of them:
- Clairvoyance, clairsentience, clairaudience, and claircognizance– see definitions listed above under medium abilities.
- Clairalience -defined as clear smelling, or the ability to gain information through the sense of smell.
- Clairgustance-defined as clear tasting, or the ability to taste something connected to the spirit.
- Aura Reading– defined as the ability to read auras or energy fields that surround all living things.
- Astral Projection – defined as an out-of-body experience, or the ability of an individual to separate his or her consciousness from his or her body.
- Precognition – defined as the psychic ability to see events that will take place in the future.
- Psychometry – defined as the ability to determine facts about a person or event by touching inanimate objects associated with them.